Actuarial Math to Quantitative Finance

• Thread starter Thread starter Bryden
  • Start date Start date
Hi all, new here and would appreciate some advice.

I'm currently at a Canadian University studying Actuarial math, and am considering pursuing a Master's in a math/finance related program. I have a rather high GPA to date.

By the time I graduate, I will have taken courses in Linear Algebra, Analysis, Probability, Stats (Regression / Time Series), Risk/Credibility Theory. I'm also doing a cs minor, and will have a good understanding of Java, C++ Data Structures and Algorithms. I do currently fear that I will not have encountered any ODEs/PDEs during my Bachelor's which will be problematic in the future.

I also will have some knowledge of finance as seen in an actuarial exam. Topics include introductory derivatives, binomial/black-scholes pricing, etc.

I'm in a coop program so I will have 4 internships working in insurance companies. The one I have lined up for this summer will have me focused on analytics and trends.

Has anyone here previously done actuarial work and made the switch? Is there any other general advice I can follow should I choose to follow the quant path?

Thanks and with any luck I'll be lurking around these forums for a while.

Hey, I also studied actuarial math although I never did proper Actuarial Work. I have always worked in finance. What I can tell you is that people tend to like the courses that I took (which are very similar to yours). Proving that you are able to learn statistics, math, and finance quickly will take you a long way.

Regarding ODE/PDE, I would look for the possibility of talking with your career director about it or trying to include it in your thesis (if there is one) but really wouldn't worry too much about it. You have other courses which will make you stand out. On my experience, most people do not have ODE/PDE in their course list. You could look for other ways to stand as well like a membership on a student club or similar.

I am transitioning from actuary (passed all exams) to quant (in commoditized sense of holding relevant professional degree).
  1. Get a master's. You will find it hard (impossible) to get anywhere without connections in the field.
  2. Nobody cares about actuarial exams.
  3. If ODE/PDE isn't offered, it should be. If it isn't, I would self-study and look for things to implement in C++. If you start by approaching one language in depth, you can learn other languages better and more quickly.

Depending on your background, you probably also want to implement stuff from Hull.

Thanks for all the replies.

I definitely do plan on doing a master's if I pursue this career.

It's not that my uni doesn't offer ODEs/PDEs, it's just that they aren't necessary for my program and I would be taking more credits than necessary for my undergrad, which I'm not necessarily opposed to.

Back