Admitted to statistics masters and require advice

• Thread starter Thread starter tlrdx
  • Start date Start date
I am finishing up my senior year at Stony Brook university with 2 degrees. I will have a b.s. in Math and Computers Science in the upcoming month. My interest and primary focus during undergrad was on probability theory and have taken numerous courses related to it. Alongside, I did coding in my courses using predominately C and Python.
After applying to various masters programs in NY for the fall, I have been admitted to statistics programs at Columbia and Stony Brook and CS at NYU. I opted to attend Columbia because of the location and I prefer stats over taking courses in CS such as OS and Computer Architecture.
I was wondering how I can best utilize this degree and my skills to position myself into entering a Quant internship and eventual job. Also, is this program really a cash cow for domestic students and does it contain only international students?

I would appreciate some help. My deposit needs to be paid very soon!

I think any degree that is in demand by BBs and HFs will be a cash cow for the university and be filled to the brim with students from India and China :) It's definitely like that for the MSCS at NYU. Once you've started the program register with the Career Services Center and you'll have access to their internship listings. If you want to get a head start, prepare for quantitative internship interviews starting now. When fall comes you'll be able to apply through OCR or whatever other system your school uses for internships.

Decide on what type of quant you want to be now. With a MSc in Stats and undergrad in math and CS you'll have access to quant trading and software development internships, which can be with an algo trading group (so a quant developer essentially). The quantitative analyst/research internships tend to be unfortunately reserved for the PhD students.

Back