Advice for PhD in Statistics (i.e. Sampling Designs)

Hi guys. I just need some career advice. I am on the verge of completing my PhD in Statistics, however I think that my specialization of Statistics is wrong for a quantitative analyst job? I have been reading a few of the threads and I am sure that my degree will carry more weight than the hopefulls with a PhD in Physics, etc. Here is a little more about my backround:
2005-2009: Bsc (Statistics & Economics) - really bad gpa, failed some modules but did manage to do much better in the final year, i.e. approx. 65 % ave. for 3rd level stats courses. Also, I only took Mathematics till second level. Calculus was a breeze for me.
2010-2011 (mid): BscHons (Statistics) - 3.7 GPA (yes we divide the 4 year degree into 2 parts in S.A.)
2011(mid)-2013(mid): Msc (Statistics by Research) - In examination and I am expecting a 3.7 or higher GPA.

Okay so the PhD part comes in, since my Msc is way over the limit and just needs a few touch ups before publishing and converting the MSc to PhD. I suppose 3 months of actual work is a good estimate.

My questions are as follows:
(1) What advice would you propose for me to land a quant analyst job in minimum time from now?
(2) Suppose that I opt for a local Honours FE Degree, would my low gpa at undergrad level effect my application, even tho I'm almost at PhD status?
(3) Will my PhD title still be recognised in the finance world, i.e. is it like "okay tick the checkbox he has a PhD in Statistics" or will my area of specialization be my downfall, such that im not in the same class as say, someone with a PhD in FE (even if I hypothetically have a MFE).
(4) Will it be easier for me, as compared to all other applicants, to get into a top MFE programme, if suppose I do an local Honours FE degree, coupled with my PhD and some C++ certifications?

Phew thats alot. PS: I dont know C++, but im an quick learner. Wrote 28 efficient pages of R code from scratch, implementing complex sampling designs, all within a week. Moreover, I'm really good with problem solving, numbers, brainteasers, etc.

Thanks in advance for the response guys.

Get your Ph.D. In my book, someone with a Ph.D in any technical subject deserves some respect/recognition.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to complete my phd, work for a year n then take a year off to do a msc in financial mathematics in the m0st prestegious university in my country. still ranked just outside 100 in the world, but i figure that if I can break into a well reputable company from there, then experience will then be a key factor to land a job with a major internationally recognised company.

To get into quantitative quant job, it depends very much on your training and research in Phd statistics specialization?
Most likely an advanced statistics knowledge will land a job in computational statistics/actuarial/risk management couple with a few years practical training and passing professional qualification in the respective career path.

I can see you are outside of US. In this case, you need to conduct career assessment what level of maturity of quant jobs available in your city/country before deciding on FE career path.

Alternatively, getting into FE will lead you to risk mgmt too but you really need to go back to school learning those advanced calculus and c++ before getting admitted into fe school.

Back