Advice on career change

• Thread starter Thread starter Kuroda
  • Start date Start date

Kuroda

Hi all, I am not a frequent poster but I thought it would have been a good idea to drop a message here given the audience of this forum.

As the title states, I am looking for opinions on a change of career and how to achieve that (and if it is actually a good idea to even try it out).

General background: this summer I will be in the financial industry for three years with past experience in S&T and IBD (that is my current position - in London). I already hold a Msc in Finance though it was not the MFE/ pure quant type of course. I enjoyed S&T a lot and wanted it or trading to be my job. I am basically getting very tired of my current position, working a crazy amount of hours, completing boring tasks and trying to self-motivate myself everyday. The general feeling is like being in a hole not really trying to escape because of the money.

I was considering to get back to school for a 1 year Msc in quant finance next September to seek re-qualification while using the time to understand what I am really looking for and try to achieve it. Should that be the case, after the masters completion I will be 28 trying to break into finance again. I cannot afford to pay £20k for a course in London but would most likely go for cheaper courses (I see the Netherlands has good and affordable ones). On the other side, if I stay where I am, I may try to land an associate position next year hoping in a better lifestyle tough not really enjoying my job.

What do you think? It would be great to receive some comments and advices.

Back