Advice please: Mancheser CS+Math Undergrad - HFT New York + PhD options?

• Thread starter Thread starter AlphaUK
  • Start date Start date
Currently at Manchester doing a undergraduate degree in CS & Mathematics. Going into my 2nd year with experience in banks/tech firms and taking units relating to the ones I have seen recommended on this website. However I won't have taken a large amount of Statistiscs by the end of my BSc. More PDE's, Mathematical Finance, etc.

Going to ask some very broad questions:
  • Are academic grades the most important aspect of getting onto the Masters/Phd courses?
  • What are the benefit of soft skills when it comes to Quant Hedge Funds?
  • Is an Ivy League Phd/Masters one of the crucial ways to get into a Quant Fund in New York?
  • OR will a masters and Phd at UCL/Imperial/LSE be sufficient in terms of qualifications to get into New York?
Thanks.

Grades in relevant courses, GRE, relevant internship experience will all be crucial.

As far as soft skills, being confident, witty, a strong presenter, will help you in all facets of your life whether its interviews or getting laid.

As far as schools, the reason Ivy League is so competitive because majority of the people on the street come from these schools. Simple attraction by association which turns into ivy leaguer's getting the first shot at jobs.

Back