Advice regarding master's programs

I have recently completed my graduation from IIT Kharagpur. My course was integrated MSc. In chemsitry(5 years). Now my interest in chemistry was gone in my 3rd year. That's when I started exploring topics in quant finance and found it quite interesting. Last year during placement sessions, I started applying for full time roles(quant researcher) in quant firms( around 80) and got response from just 3 (optiver , maven and DTL) and was able to clear their OAs but failed in the interviews. I am currently working in a risk management consulting firm( been 2 months). My plan now is to apply for masters in quant related subjects as I believe the only hindrance to me getting opportunities is my degree in chemsitry.

The main issue that I am currently facing is that my degree lacked mathematical courses. I had to do probability and stats from an online source and also the grades that I got in some of the quantitative courses that I had are not that good ( C in some). Now , for applying in masters programs, most require strong mathematical background. Though I am well versed with probability, statistics, calculus and linear algebra. I dont have any concrete evidence to prove it. I just want to know how likely it would be for me to get into a good masters program which can help me get interviews at quant firms.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Go through the quantitative background section on this page: Prerequisites | Master of Financial Engineering | Berkeley Haas. If you have done UG coursework which cover topics mentioned here, you would be fine. All applications request you to specify the courses you undertook which cover pre-reqs. You can mention the specific course you undertook there.
However, if you do not have uni coursework which specifically cover the topics mentioned as pre-req you will have to take online courses to cover up for these. Each uni has a list of MOOCs and online courses they deem would be on par with their expectations for pre-reqs. You'll have to go through the list for each uni to apply to and enrol in online courses after you've applied in order to cover the pre-reqs.

Back