After first C++ certificate, Python or Advanced C++?

Hello,

I am planning to apply for MFEs this fall.
If I had to choose one, which will be more beneficial for my application: Python or the Advanced C++ certificate?
I haven't learned Python yet, so I feel like it will be really useful to have some exposure to it. Especially, because machine learning is having an ever growing influence in quant finance. I have also found myself struggling with option trading competitions, b/c on many occasions they require Python, and I am a complete novice at it.

On the other hand as a current Baruch undergrad, I have noticed that Dan Stefanica - the Baruch MFE director - recommends all of their MFE candidates to take the Advanced C++ certificate before starting the program.

Any suggestions will be welcomed.
Thanks.

Hello,

I am planning to apply for MFEs this fall.
If I had to choose one, which will be more beneficial for my application: Python or the Advanced C++ certificate?
I haven't learned Python yet, so I feel like it will be really useful to have some exposure to it. Especially, because machine learning is having an ever growing influence in quant finance. I have also found myself struggling with option trading competitions, b/c on many occasions they require Python, and I am a complete novice at it.

On the other hand as a current Baruch undergrad, I have noticed that Dan Stefanica - the Baruch MFE director - recommends all of their MFE candidates to take the Advanced C++ certificate before starting the program.

Any suggestions will be welcomed.
Thanks.
I can see merits to both approaches -- you may find the following threads useful in helping you decide:

See Recommendation on QN courses

If I were in such a position in my career. I would do both C++ and Python are a good combination.
It is an investment in your future career. If you make the time and have a few quid to spare it is what I would do.

Last edited:
Back