Am I good enough to get into a good PhD program ?

Hello, Quantnet Community,

I am a Mechanical Engineer. I am currently pursuing two Masters from the University of North Carolina Charlotte.

First being, Masters in Mathematics with a concentration in Applied Statistics and the second one is Masters in Mathematical finance with Computational Finance track.

I will be graduating in May 2020. My current GPA for both Masters is 3.8.

I have undertaken Graduate-level courses such as Analysis, Financial Economic theory, Derivatives, Stochastic Calculus in Finance, Fixed Income and Credit Risk, Statistical Inference, Advanced Derivatives with Python, Linear Statistical Models, Cross-section econometrics in my first two years of study.

In my final year, I will be undertaking Numerical Methods for Financial Derivatives, Financial Computing, Multivariate analysis, Time series econometrics and will also be working on my research seminar which is like a mini-thesis in the coming fall semester.

During my masters, I have worked on a couple of quant finance projects in Python, Stata, Matlab and will also be working on new projects in my last year.

My GRE score is 320 with 167 in Quant.

I am really interested and wish to pursue a Ph.D. from top institutions from Fall 2020 like
  1. Cornell University
  2. Boston University
  3. Princeton University
  4. Columbia University
  5. UNC-Chapel Hill
  6. Stony Brook University
  7. The University of Florida ( Dept of Industry and System Engineering )
  8. Florida State University
  9. Purdue University
  10. University of Pennsylvania
It will be a great help if the community comments on my profile and my chances of getting admitted for a Ph.D. in top programs in the USA. Also, can you please tell which programs should I aim for?

Thank you for taking the time to give me crucial advice.

PhD in what tho? If u are referring to FE which it is rare PhD, the program in UoF is ran by a who accepts one or two students a year, email him your transcript, and he'll tell u whether to apply or not

I want to pursue a Ph.D. in Quant Finance. The universities that I have listed they all have Quant Finance Ph.D. programs.

Okay, will try emailing the director of UoF program.

Back