Am I qualified for admission to MFE?

• Thread starter Thread starter sss
  • Start date Start date

sss

What's up guys,

I'm heading into my junior year at SMU, but I am taking the spring semester off to work as a volunteer on the Patagonia conservation. Thus, I have 3 semesters of undergrad left. I'm a Finance major and a math minor and wondering which programs you think I should look into further. I have no way to know whether I am a top-tier candidate based on the programs' websites. I graduate in May 2012 and plan to go through the application process in Fall 2011.

I only missed a few q's on the sat and act and generally do well on standardized test. However, I don't know whether I will have sufficient coursework in quantitative subjects to be accepted to a top program. My (relevant) coursework is as follows:

Finance
Financial Management (Honors)
Money & Capital Markets
Investment Analysis & Portfolio Management (Fall 10)
Advanced Financial Management (Fall 10)
Speculative Markets (Spring 12)
Principles of Risk Management & Insurance (2011-12)

Math
Calc I, II
Calc III (Fall 10)
Elementary Differential Equations (Fall 10)
Linear Algebra (2011-12)
Analysis OR Discrete Math OR Theory of Numbers

I'm also planning to take a computer programming course and a calculus based stats class. I also have work experience at FDIC, Wells Fargo Advisors and currently working at a private equity research analytics firm.

The program that caught my interest initially is Georgia Tech. However, I'm not picky as long as I am accepted into a respectable program. How would you guys evaluate my application?

Thanks
-SSS

Depends what you consider a respectable program. Compared to many applicants I think you will be weak on the math and programming parts and I see you didn't have a class on derivatives. But it does sound like your experience will be more relevant than some applicants.

Any chance of a full-time position at your current job? Your experience looks pretty good, I would recommend trying to get a finance job. You can always go get a MFE later and even a few years of relevant work experience would help after a masters.

I think you would also be a solid candidate for a top MBA program, which often leads to decent jobs on Wall Street.

I think you're strong on the finance side but very weak on the mathematics and programming segment. Relative to top MFE programs, your application is fairly weak. What i would suggest is appling to a MS Finance program. Look for MFin. that allow you to incorporate a lot of quant electives.

Ask yourself why you want to do MFE but took math only as a minor. You need to at least be able to tolerate the idea of doing tons and tons of higher math.

Back