Another Calibration Understanding Problem in Heston FX Model

• Thread starter Thread starter boulala
  • Start date Start date
Hey,

I've got an understanding problem with the calibration procedure. I want to price with the Heston Model some FX options and I dont understand it. I've looked up a lot of papers regarding the Heston Model and my question is:
A lot of papers use a loss-function to calibrate the model to market prices. The formula looks kind this way

min sqr( ∑ w ( CModel - CMarket)^2)

w=weights Cmodel=Model implied prices CMarket=Market obeserved Prices

The point i dont get is, if i want to calibrate the model to market prices where the hell do i get the model implied prices from??? I mean I need to calibrate the model to calculate model prices or am I wrong?
Or do I need to calculate with the Vola Surface some Black Scholes prices and put them here in? This cant be right.

I hope anyone can help me out :)

regards
boulala

Thats all? I guess some initial parameters, put them into heston and calculate some calls?
And this values I use to put them into the calibration scheme?
After that I can calculate the calls with my estimated parameters?

if u trust ur optimization algorithm (particle swarm), then yes
otherwise u have to start somewhere close

also if u trust ur optimization and believe the params will somehow sorta converge to a region, u can obtain a time series of market prices and do the following:
  1. make up some initial value first then run optimization on the market prices at t_0
  2. use the results as initial params to get params for t_1
  3. continue the process till t_n and hopefully now the params are (kinda) stable and u can simply recycle yesterday's params as initial input to compute today's params

Back