Applying to Masters in Finance programs

• Thread starter Thread starter Joe Yu
  • Start date Start date
Hey, I am new to this forum so I have a few questions to ask. I graduated from Johns Hopkins in 2008 with an Econ degree (premed concentration) and a GPA of 3.61. I received between A/A- in all quantitative classes (micro theory, macro theory, econometrics, prob/stats, etc.). The thing is I have zero experience in the finance industry. Upon graduation, I used my premed background to work as a research assistant in a cancer research lab at Johns Hopkins Medical Institution and I have a publication in highly-regarded peer reviewed journal. The thing is I just realized that I do not want to pursue my career in medicine anymore and would like to switch to finance. Do Master Programs look down on people who are looking to switch their career? I am planning to take the GRE in a couple months and apply to Master Programs in Finance both in the US and UK.Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

You said master's in finance, as in non-quantitative?

Here's a little secret: if it's being taught across the country, it's priced into the price of securities already.

Your employer can teach you finance. You need to learn the harder math and programming.

No, I mean I am looking to apply to Masters Program in Finance/Financial Engineering so that I can get a job in the financial sector. And I mean quantitative programs as well, not just basic finance stuff. As of now, I have ZERO work experience in the financial industry and it would be hard to find a job with just a BA in Econ.

Oh, in that case, definitely try to stick in NYC. IMO you probably can't replace the fact that it's a recruiting spot just a subway's ride away for financial professionals. NYU is obnoxiously expensive, and I have a friend who's doing Columbia MSFE and he says it's not bad. As for Baruch, from my experience with meeting its people, they're really fun and cool.

Back