Asking for PhD Financial Engineering? need consultancy

• Thread starter Thread starter Linh
  • Start date Start date
Hi, everybody. I am applying PhD scholarship. University said that they are very excited if i apply PhD Financial Engineering. I had background for finance with BSc Banking and Finance and Master in financial management in London. Actually, i didnt study subjects in maths in university(GRE OR GMAT... I HAVE NEVER KNOWN IT). But I think i am not too bad about maths when i was in high school. I dont understand why they saw my transcript and suggest about this program. Would you mind to tell me basic about subject: Financial Engineering. Is this suitable for a girl, and is it difficult for person who dont study a lot of maths to study?
Thanks a lot and hope to see your reply.

Well at its base financial engineering is a quantitative science, so a strong base in university level mathematics is kind of essential.

But I think i am not too bad about maths when i was in high school
You need about 5 or 6 modules in math to do financial engineering in industry thats almost one-year study in Uni. High-school level is far away from enough.

You need about 5 or 6 modules in math to do financial engineering in industry thats almost one-year study in Uni. High-school level is far away from enough.

What FE program accepts a student in with only 5 or 6 modules in math ?

Sorry, I am talking about minimum, usually an Engineering undergraduate took around 5 modules in math. But others are all quantitive-based, for example, signal processing, it is possible for a good EE student get into FE program, right ?

Hi, everybody. I am applying PhD scholarship. University said that they are very excited if i apply PhD Financial Engineering. I had background for finance with BSc Banking and Finance and Master in financial management in London. Actually, i didnt study subjects in maths in university(GRE OR GMAT... I HAVE NEVER KNOWN IT). But I think i am not too bad about maths when i was in high school. I dont understand why they saw my transcript and suggest about this program. Would you mind to tell me basic about subject: Financial Engineering. Is this suitable for a girl, and is it difficult for person who dont study a lot of maths to study?
Thanks a lot and hope to see your reply.

which school? i would like to apply for the phd in financial mathematics or quant finance

What is a module? Is that same as course? If so, 5-6 college level math isn't enough? 6 courses could cover single & multivariable calc, linear algebra, diff eqtns, probability, etc. That's not enough math?

What is a module? Is that same as course? If so, 5-6 college level math isn't enough? 6 courses could cover single & multivariable calc, linear algebra, diff eqtns, probability, etc. That's not enough math?

that's even less than the bare minimum, stochastic processes is almost always required.

Back