Baruch C++ Certificate Program and/or UW CFRM Course in C++

I am currently in the process of trying to make a career change, I am currently a tax manager at a local CPA firm. I was just accepted to the UW CFRM program after completing the certificate in computational finance (I also currently have an undergraduate degree in Math and an MS in Statistics). I will be completing the program part-time online.

I had some coursework as an undergrad in C++ and I do recall some of the basics, however as part of my studies I would like to regain, expand and improve upon my programming skills. The UW CFRM program is heavily concentrated on R programming which I have already had a bit of exposure to, however I would like to also cover C++ as it appears to be fundamental to a computational finance career.

The MS program has a course in C++ (CFRM 557), which looks very interesting (it covers interfacing excel, R and C++, however this is only one 10 week course. I have also looked into the Baruch C++ online certificate which looks very helpful and I was wondering if it would be better to (1) take the Baruch C++ certificate online which I can do during the summer and then choose another elective in the program, or (2) take both the UW course and the Baruch certificate, or (3) just take the UW course as part of the MS.

I have provided a link to the description of the UW course that I mentioned. I appreciate any feedback and/or advice from anyone who has insight into the certificate and/or UW course.

https://depts.washington.edu/compfin/node/153

(1)
(3) definitely not
(2) can do but what are your expectations?

UW is a bit of C++,R, Excel. Chances are you will not end up learning C++.

The outline also looks awful short. Compare with detailed Baruch outline.

Back