Becoming a Quant: My next step?

Hi all, I'd like some advice on what should be my next step.

At 27, I do not foresee myself in the IT/Computer Engineering field for much longer. Currently I am a VAS Prepaid Engineer for a telecom company. I have been in telecom for nearly 2 years and in this position for about 6 months.

I have a background in computer science with a minor in electronics. I screwed up my undergrad, graduating with only a pass degree.

Options:

1)I would re do a BSc degree in Applied Mathematics, from there apply to do a MSc in Finanancial Engineering in the US.

2)I would try to get into a MSc programme in Economics, do well, and from there apply to do a MSc in FE.

I am currently studying Mathematics on my own, and intend to start a blog about computational sciences using the python language. My main concern is my pass degree and how I will be able to overcome this obstacle. I am also unaware of how these schools review their candidates, the trend so far is either you have greater than 2 years experience in the financial industry or the person has superb academic performance,

Positive comments/advice would be appreciated.

What about trying to land a job at a bank where you are close to the quants? From there, you could do a transition into a pure quant role. On one hand I've seen an astonishing amount of non-Quant people doing a quant's job, on the other hand, this breed is surely dying out as there are education programmes that specifically train quants.

What good is a BSc in Mathematics, anyway? Doesn't guarantee you a job in the Quant field at all! Plus, it's very painful (been there myself) :)

Back