Berkeley Haas MFE pre program courses.

Hey guys, I am on the waitlist for the Berkeley MFE program and have completed all of my pre requisites except for the pre program courses. I am currently a graduate student doing my masters in computer science. Going to Haas would be an absolute dream, and so I enthusiastically completed all of the pre requisites, other than the pre program courses. However, now I see that the pre program courses would cost me $6000 for all three. This is not a small expense for me and I cannot justify taking out a loan to do a pre program course for a course I'm waitlisted for. I have a couple of questions regarding this situation. If I do not complete the pre program courses, am I forfeiting my waitlist position? Is it worth it to borrow money to pay for the pre program courses while I'm on a waitlist? Is there any way I can get these courses for a discounted price?

I have emailed the MFE admissions team already and received a boilerplate response.

I have spent already spent what I consider a large sum of money on acquiring certifications for some of the other pre-requisites. I'm at a loss and don't know what to do now.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Sincerely,
ketchup

Hey guys, I am on the waitlist for the Berkeley MFE program and have completed all of my pre requisites except for the pre program courses. I am currently a graduate student doing my masters in computer science. Going to Haas would be an absolute dream, and so I enthusiastically completed all of the pre requisites, other than the pre program courses. However, now I see that the pre program courses would cost me $6000 for all three. This is not a small expense for me and I cannot justify taking out a loan to do a pre program course for a course I'm waitlisted for. I have a couple of questions regarding this situation. If I do not complete the pre program courses, am I forfeiting my waitlist position? Is it worth it to borrow money to pay for the pre program courses while I'm on a waitlist? Is there any way I can get these courses for a discounted price?

I have emailed the MFE admissions team already and received a boilerplate response.

I have spent already spent what I consider a large sum of money on acquiring certifications for some of the other pre-requisites. I'm at a loss and don't know what to do now.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Sincerely,
ketchup
These courses are compulsory even for the admitted candidates ==> if you don't do these courses the probability of getting into Spring 2023 intake is 0.

You will get a $100 discount per course if you register before 21st October. For admitted candidates it's $1595, do ask them if you get admitted after passing these courses, will you get the difference back?? 1895 -1595 = $300. That is 900$ for all three.

It would've been better to have found cheaper alternatives for other pre-requisites (PDE, ML, C++ for example, from Coursera, etc.. ) as you cannot do the same for the pre-program course requirement.

Last edited:
Hi, I am taking the pre program courses starting next week. The number of the registered students is more than 120 people.
I am very excited to communicate with the incoming students! If there is a wechat or slack channel, let me join.
Thank you.

Back