Best master's degree in quantitative finance

• Thread starter Thread starter OneAnt
  • Start date Start date
I am currently enrolled in an engineering degree.

Next year I would like to join a master program in quantitative finance.

What are the best master's degree offered? I'm specifically interested in degrees that are not
too expensive, and that holds high value.

Though it is not strictly necessary, it would be better if I could remain in Europe.

I looked into ETH Zurich and it seems pretty great, do you have any thoughts on this particular university?

You can see the US rankings on the sight. As far as quality combined with price, Baruch is 35k and Columbia 50k. Obviously my knowledge only extends to the US and you said you want to remain in Europe, but you can't beat New York...

europe, i'd go for programs that are located near a big financial hub such as london, zurich and maybe paris.
the cheapest programs would obviously be in France and Switzerland (cost of life in CH is dumb expensive, careful)

ETH and EPFL (lausanne) have good programs, credit Suisse even got a quant training program (https://www.credit-suisse.com/ch/en...s-switzerland/career-start-opportunities.html)
if you're ever interested in a PhD, the Swissfinance PhD program is there, and is one of the best in Europe and maybe the world.

Thanks for your reply!

But is the ETH Zurich about the same level as others quantitative finance programs, like MIT or Harvard, or is light-years behind?

Would a master degree in ETH significantly reduce your chance of being hired by a top firm?

I like to look up people who are connected to the program on linkedin.
this is how I do it: you restrict the search by typing this at the end of your google search:

for example: eth master quantitative finance site:linkedin.com

this will give you every pages google can find with information about the eth msc quantitative finance.
so I just did it and here you can see this guy who's now working for morgan stanley (which is a top firm):
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/william-vettorato/7/a3b/121

good luck

ps: you can also do the same for mit and harvard

It's a good suggestion from @TehRaio to get an idea of where the graduates end up. On the flip side, you won't find graduates from these programs who do not use or update their LinkedIn for various reasons (unable to find a job is one of them).

Back