Best Path from Mechanical Engineering to Quant

I'm on track to complete my bachelor's in mechanical engineering with a minor in math and CS (from a non-target US school). I want to pivot into finance and become a Quant Researcher (particularly at a hedge fund). I have a pretty good track record (~3.8 GPA, research experience, journal publications, etc.), so I should be able to get into a higher-ranked school than my undergrad. I narrowed it down to a couple of degrees (Master in Applied Math, Data Science, Statistics, or Operations Research) and was hoping to get some opinions. I looked into MFEs, but I don't think my experience suits them. Are there any other suggestions or advice that you could provide? I want to get a degree in a quantitative field that is both applicable to quantitative finance and relevant enough to my background that I won't be rejected. Also, I'd like to get a Ph.D. if possible, so if that subject has Ph.D. programs, that is a plus (however, I am not sure my resume is good enough to get into a Ph.D. program at a target school, so I'd like to apply to masters as well). Also, are there any schools in particular I should look into or avoid? Any advice helps. Thanks!

A MFE is not gonna help for a PhD. Its an industry degree. You don't need any special financial work experience to get into an MFE. Definitely helps but not essential. Just have a good enough math background.

Back