"C++11 feels like a new language” – Bjarne Stroustrup

The C++11 standard offers many useful new features. This page focuses specifically and only on those features that make C++11 really feel like a new language compared to C++98, because:
  • They change the styles and idioms you’ll use when writing C++ code, often including the way you’ll design C++ libraries. For example, you’ll see more smart pointer parameters and return values, and functions that return big objects by value.
  • They will be used so pervasively that you’ll probably see them in most code examples. For example, virtually every five-line modern C++ code example will say “auto” somewhere.
Use the other great C++11 features too. But get used to these ones first, because these are the pervasive ones that show why C++11 code is clean, safe, and fast – just as clean and safe as code written in any other modern mainstream language, and with C++’s traditional to-the-metal performance as strong as ever.
http://herbsutter.com/elements-of-modern-c-style/

Visual Studio 2010 C++ supports a number of the features.

C++ 11 lambda with STL algos are useful.

So if I was just starting to learn C++, should I start with C++11? How long will it be before this becomes mainstream?

EDIT: I mean should I learn the new features, I realize it isn't a whole new language. I just wanted to clarify. lol

So if I was just starting to learn C++, should I start with C++11? How long will it be before this becomes mainstream?

EDIT: I mean should I learn the new features, I realize it isn't a whole new language. I just wanted to clarify. lol

For me, C++ 11 is not a whole new language; it has new features that are parts of C++ and have been used in Boost for years.

I am willing to bet that it will be > 5 years before all of it is mainstream. There are several reasons why.

To learn C++, learn some C first.

Back