C++ level upon successful completion: Basic,Intermediate, or Advanced?

Dear Andy and the Baruch MFE Team

Thank you guys for developing such a valuable course. I plan on taking the course sometimes in the next 6 months.

If I successfuly complete the course, what level should I consider my C++ skill set? Basic, Intermediate or Advanced?

Intermediate. What I should also say is that the course does the essential _must_have_ fundamentals as well. The _nice_to_have stuff will fit in as you progress.

(with a number of advanced topics you won't find elsewhere).

Next?
Program like mad on challenging projects :)

Have fun with C++

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your prompt reply, Daniel.

In my case this course is perfect althought I don't work in the financial industry nor planning on applying to MFE programs, I desperatly need to improve my programming skills and I am willing to put in the time and effort to do so.

I complete my Master's degree in Applied Mathematics from Stony Brook University and I took a course in Options pricing so this course fits the bill. I took one semester of OOP Java programming 10 years ago.

There are several web developper internal jobs openings at my company that require good programming skills in PHP/Javascript/SQL and so forth. But, I truly beleive that although C++ is rarely used in Web Development an Intermediate C++ developper should do very well.

Thank you again for making yourself available to address our questions and concerns. I look forward to learning from all of you once I join the course hopefully soon.

For someone who completes this certificate who is not a CS major (undergrad), what percentage of programming skill/knowledge/experience will someone attain compared to someone with a BS in CS? 50%? 80%? 100?

Also, would this certificate course be much more smoother for someone without much programming experience if they read 2-3 books on C++ before they took this course, or would that be unnecessary?

Thanks.

Hi Daniel
I believe you are the trainer/instructor for this course.

I have a major in finance from a reputed Business school in NY, and i also have significant programming experience in java although not much real time experience in C++ ( did take some courses during my undergrad regarding the same )

At some point in the near future, possibly class of 2015, i intend to apply to MFE programs as my double major.

In the mean time i want to build my profile accordingly, hence a strong desire to complete this certificate.
My question is, will a strong base as a java programmer and by that i mean enterprise edition of Java platform i.e J2EE help me with this course and eventual success in the MFE program.

Thanks
Anish

I believe you are the trainer/instructor for this course.

I pleed guilty, Anish :)

Having Java is good but C and C++ should not be underestimated. If Java treats me like a kid then C++ treats me like an adult with free will.

C++ is worth it IMO, even if you do other languages in the future.

hth
Daniel

Hi Daniel
Thanks for your reply. It does help a lot as it giver further clarity to my long term goals and the journey i need to undertake in order to fulfill them.
I will be enrolling in this course soon.

Thanks
Anish

I've just completed my Ph.D. Statistics specializing in Computational Finance in Purdue. I have just enrolled for C++ as a finishing school to brush up my C++ skills.
Ideal role is a quant researcher in IB / Prop / HF

Back