can anyone go over career/salary progression of risk?

and which is better career and salary wise (market vs credit)

I've heard market risk analystis usually 80k base + 10k bonus

and associates make 120k all inclusive

vp makes 140-160 k all inclusive and have heard that most people stop climbing the ladder after here.

Sounds like a great career so I'm confused as to why no one in mfe program has risk as their top choice

Why no one in mfe program has risk as their top choice? You answered that question yourself. Who wants to earn 160K stuck at VP position in boring job for the rest of their lives?

and which is better career and salary wise (market vs credit)

I've heard market risk analystis usually 80k base + 10k bonus

and associates make 120k all inclusive

vp makes 140-160 k all inclusive and have heard that most people stop climbing the ladder after here.

Sounds like a great career so I'm confused as to why no one in mfe program has risk as their top choice

A variety of reasons. One is that many people in MFE programs, and in general, are prestige whores and risk is generally not perceived to be prestigious or sexy. That doesn't mean that you personally would not find it interesting, rewarding, or to your liking.

Another is that it generally pays less than certain "front office" roles. While you can't blame a person for being attracted to money, I would consider it unwise to make money your sole (or even primary) motivation in decision making (when it comes to life decisions anyway).

its also about the lifestyle... some mid/back office vp got paid 250~350k for doing technically nothing besides pushing bureaucratic papers with minimal stress levels. and the existing regulation encourages and often mandates their existence. what a nice life!

its also about the lifestyle... some mid/back office vp got paid 250~350k for doing technically nothing besides pushing bureaucratic papers with minimal stress levels. and the existing regulation encourages and often mandates their existence. what a nice life!
If you're a "back office vp" making that much, I will guarantee you that your life will NOT be stress free.

A variety of reasons. One is that many people in MFE programs, and in general, are prestige whores and risk is generally not perceived to be prestigious or sexy. That doesn't mean that you personally would not find it interesting, rewarding, or to your liking.

Another is that it generally pays less than certain "front office" roles. While you can't blame a person for being attracted to money, I would consider it unwise to make money your sole (or even primary) motivation in decision making (when it comes to life decisions anyway).
This is all true. Quantquanta: the other posts here are a bit ill-informed. PM me to discuss.

Back