Can I get hired with these qualifications?

• Thread starter Thread starter Four
  • Start date Start date
Hi, I'm hoping to work as a quant developer one day. I have a few questions about how to get one's foot in the door for someone with my qualifications.

A bit about my background: I was recently accepted to the master's program in computer science at NYU. I'll be filling the electives requirement of the master's degree with a bunch of financial math courses. I am a decent C++ programmer right now with mostly academic experience, but have been working as a web developer for the last 4 years (and have a lot of web development experience).

Do you think I can get a front office C++ programmer job with these qualifications? If so, is it possible to move into a trader position eventually if I pick up financial math knowledge at school? (I'm studying computer science because I don't have the required math background for a financial engineering program and a comp sci masters gives some flexibility if I decide to go back to IT.) Thanks for any feedback!

Mostly front-end, a bit of back-end. I usually use HTML, CSS, JavaScript, XML, XSL, PHP, and MySQL on a daily basis. I'm one of the lead front-end developers for a major internet site (~ 60 million unique visitors a month).

Get into the CS program. Use your NYU career services and networks to find internship at one of the banks or hedge funds.
Look into Python, R, C#/.NET
Backend sql skill would be useful. Learn how to optimize your queries.
Play with API such as Interactive Brokers to put together a system that can suck data, back test, submit order, etc.

Get into the CS program. Use your NYU career services and networks to find internship at one of the banks or hedge funds.
Thanks for the feedback! I wish I could do an internship, but I'm in my 30s and can't afford not to work, so will be doing grad school part-time. Any chance of being hired by a bank without having done an internship?

You are better technically equipped than a lot of MFE students so there is no reason you shouldn't get a job. What I wrote above is what they are looking for. I know a lot of banks are even looking for people with excellent sql skill.
https://www.quantnet.com/forum/threads/learn-sql.7554/

Don't be too picky with your first job and don't expect front office/trader kind of job. Your goal is to get in with your skillset. Front office is shrinking while people seem to avoid mid office where jobs are more plentiful.

Back