[Career Advise] A .NET Dev And Aspiring Quantitative Dev

• Thread starter Thread starter G M
  • Start date Start date

G M

Heya All,

As the title goes, I'm currently a .NET developer especializing in Microsoft technologies.
I would want to have a shift next year...

Before I ask some specific questions, here are some details regarding myself:
> I only have a BS degree in Computer Engineering.
> I love numbers, not to sound arrogant, but my grades esp. in Math related subjects were exceptional.
> I have been in the IT industry now for 4.5 years and 2.5 years of it in an investment bank.
> I'm comfortable and confident with C#/C++.
> I'm based in Singapore.

I'm currently brushing up my mathematical skills and eventually will go through the books/resources I'm reading from this forum.
Currently, I totally do not have a background in financial derivatives. Stochastic calculus, linear algebra - basic.
Practice coding based on quantlib.org is also in my list.

My questions are:
1. Is a 1 year timeframe a joke?
2. How can I compose a resume with most my skills not relating to the job I'm applying for?
2.1. Should I remove all the .NET stuffs and change it with quant stuffs?
2.2. Should I put both?
3. I have lots of contraints currently enrolling to a Master's Degree, any recommended reputable not-so-expensive online program that gives certificate?
4. Is having only a BS degree a big disadvantage for my shift?
5. MathLab/Python - very basic knowledge, should I spend more time with these?

My ultimate goal why I would want to switch job is to get a role where I could fully use my programming skills and my love for numbers - I don't see it currently in my job.

Thank you in advance!

Heya All,
My questions are:
1. Is a 1 year timeframe a joke?
2. How can I compose a resume with most my skills not relating to the job I'm applying for?
2.1. Should I remove all the .NET stuffs and change it with quant stuffs?
2.2. Should I put both?
3. I have lots of contraints currently enrolling to a Master's Degree, any recommended reputable not-so-expensive online program that gives certificate?
4. Is having only a BS degree a big disadvantage for my shift?
5. MathLab/Python - very basic knowledge, should I spend more time with these?
Thank you in advance!

1) For a career shift? It's probably the minimum
2) Make it a balance of tech/quant, especially since your first move will likely be to another developer role in the financial industry and not necessarily a quant one.
3) Have you checked out Nanyang Technological University's MS Financial Engineering? It's not as expensive as U.S. programs and they have a few months at CMU.
4) Your first shift will likely be to a developer position in the financial industry. Having only a BS will not be a big disadvantage.
5) Yes, especially Python.

Back