Career/School Advice for Increasing my Odds

• Thread starter Thread starter Tundra
  • Start date Start date
Hi there,

Brief Summary about me:

Current Undergrad (Junior): Materials Science and Engineering with a minor in math, 3.85 GPA, at your average big US state school

Internship Experience: I worked for a respected engineering company last Summer, but I didn't really do anything relevant to becoming a quant . For this upcoming Summer, I will be doing data science and statistical modeling for a semiconductor company.

Research Experience: Just started working on Monte Carlo molecular modeling for semiconductors in the last month or two.

Coding: Solid with Python

I am not completely sold on continuing with materials science for my potential grad school/career choice, and I am interested in pivoting to quantitative finance. What should I be doing to increase my chances of getting a quant role?

Hi there,

Brief Summary about me:

Current Undergrad (Junior): Materials Science and Engineering with a minor in math, 3.85 GPA, at your average big US state school

Internship Experience: I worked for a respected engineering company last Summer, but I didn't really do anything relevant to becoming a quant . For this upcoming Summer, I will be doing data science and statistical modeling for a semiconductor company.

Research Experience: Just started working on Monte Carlo molecular modeling for semiconductors in the last month or two.

Coding: Solid with Python

I am not completely sold on continuing with materials science for my potential grad school/career choice, and I am interested in pivoting to quantitative finance. What should I be doing to increase my chances of getting a quant role?
I came from Mechanical Engineering, with about 1.5 years of experience. Took kind of the same path. I would recommend looking into more math focused masters programs. Engineering paths lack the math rigor that quant roles require.

Back