Chances of admission MFE EPFL / QF ETH Zurich

I'm in my second year bachelor's in Econometrics and Operations Research, at the Erasmus University of Rotterdam. My average grade at the moment is 7.8/10, I will try to resist some subjects this summer to get it up as much as possible. I will spend this summer working as an analyst at a Logistics Company, and next semester I will be doing an exchange in Germany. I will try to get some research assistant experience in Germany although I can't confirm yet that this will be on my CV.

I was wondering what my chances are with this background, I get that these grades are not ideal but in the Swiss system, this would be a 5.3/6 or something like that (I think).

(if it matters I am fluent in French)

Last edited:
See that you are in the Netherlands, maybe get with @jonathank to see if you guys can get together this summer to beef up your profile. Seems like C++ and Python are missing on your list.
Thanks for the answer, I'm already using Python (daily) for my course rn, although not complicated stuff. Is C++ a MUST? How important is it for MSc admission? I can start using it for my projects and learn it that way.

C++ is a big deal for many top MSc programs since they have courses where you have to use it. It's a crucial keywords for many job listing these days. Many company will use automatic programs to filter CV/resumes from applicants and will filter out those without these keywords.
The issue is many people can say they know Python well but very few people can say that about C++. And you will get tested about it during interview.
I would say that if you invest in C++, it will open more opportunities for you. Knowing Python well maybe enough but why not allow yourself room for career advancement.
The list below is non-exhaustive.

C++ is a big deal for many top MSc programs since they have courses where you have to use it. It's a crucial keywords for many job listing these days. Many company will use automatic programs to filter CV/resumes from applicants and will filter out those without these keywords.
The issue is many people can say they know Python well but very few people can say that about C++. And you will get tested about it during interview.
I would say that if you invest in C++, it will open more opportunities for you. Knowing Python well maybe enough but why not allow yourself room for career advancement.
The list below is non-exhaustive.
Got it, I'll start using it as much as I can, learning happens by using it anyway, just like any language.

Back