Choice of masters and summer work

• Thread starter Thread starter kuant
  • Start date Start date
Hi everyone,

I have two questions concerning the choice of a Masters as well as possible preparation to become a quant. First, my background: I just finished the 3rd year of a 4year mathematics course in a very good UK university, and I am planning on applying for a 1year MFE that would start in September 2015. For the moment, I want to apply to Oxford (MSc MCF) and Cambridge's MPhil Finance amongst other things.

1) If I do not get into these programs, is it worth applying for mathematical programs (Part III at Cambridge and MSc Mathematics and Foundations of CS at Oxford) and then learn C++/stochastic calculus on the side or as electives, or are these worthless to become quant ? I say this because I enjoy maths and I would think that a masters from those unis is better than "nothing" in the sense that it shows my quantitative skills.

2) Next summer, I will have finished my 4th year, and will have two/three months before (hopefully) starting my MSc. I was wondering how I could best spend the summer, ie if there was anything I could do to help me to become a quant or boost my CV. For example, is it worth doing a summer internship (if so, which division in particular, knowing that most banks do not offer quants summer internships?), and if not, should I self-teach myself either some maths/programming or is there something else I should do ?

I just want to add something briefly. I will not only apply to Oxford and Cambridge as I do not have the arrogance to think I will get in one of them, but these are the only unis where there is a maths masters which I am currently looking into.

Thank you very much for your help !

Back