College Freshman - What can I be doing right now?

Currently I'm a freshman at Brown University, concentrating in Computer Science and Economics. From the recent career fair, I understand most hedge funds and the like are not interested in accepting freshmen or sophomores for internships.

I've done a lot in computer science (a lot of websites, back-ends, mobile apps, etc.) but have very little in the finance/economics department. What exactly can I be doing this early to try to get some things on my resume to show that I can be proficient? Also, where do I get started? Thanks everyone!

See if anyone in the econ or finance depts needs a research assistant. RAs with programming skills are quite valuable. Also start scheduling informational interviews with people in industry. And get to know the juniors and seniors. They will be in a prime position to help you network when you are a jr or sr yourself.

Get a 4.0 GPA. Everything you have to learn for your course, learn really well.

Thanks!

Currently I have a fairly easy semester though, just to fill some pre-reqs for the more interesting classes.

Currently I'm a freshman at Brown University, concentrating in Computer Science and Economics. From the recent career fair, I understand most hedge funds and the like are not interested in accepting freshmen or sophomores for internships.

I've done a lot in computer science (a lot of websites, back-ends, mobile apps, etc.) but have very little in the finance/economics department. What exactly can I be doing this early to try to get some things on my resume to show that I can be proficient? Also, where do I get started? Thanks everyone!
Do you have a portfolio of the projects (web or app) you have done? If you are a great developer, I can think of a few ideas that would be GREAT to put on your resume. Contact me if you are interested.

Back