COMPARE Columbia MAFN or Columbia MSOR

Can anyone tell me which is better, if I have no working experience in financial industry? To me, it seems Columbia MAFN is more reputed and a lot of math, which I am fine with. But as Columbia MSOR is one year and a half, so maybe I can do one more internship? And I heard there is really zero career service in Columbia MAFN.

If you want to get into quant finance, I believe MAFN is looked upon more favorably. The MSOR is just that, a MS in Operations Research. Not financial engineering. As you said you are largely your own when it comes to finding a job. By the way, starting in Fall 2013, Columbia MAFN added the option of doing the program in 3 semesters rather than 2 so the internship shouldn't be an issue. (I know because I was admitted to MAFN in 2013 and they told me about the change)

Last edited:
If you want to get into quant finance, I believe MAFN is looked upon more favorably. The MSOR is just that, a MS in Operations Research. Not financial engineering. As you said you are on largely your own when it comes to finding a job. By the way, starting in Fall 2013, Columbia MAFN added the option of doing the program in 3 semesters rather than 2 so the internship shouldn't be an issue. (I know because I was admitted to MAFN in 2013 and they told me about the change)
Thanks, it looks like you are satisfied with this year in MAFN?

Back