COMPARE Columbia MAFN or NYU Poly MSFE?

• Thread starter Thread starter Chr
  • Start date Start date

Chr

I got accepted this week (PT) to both schools. turnaround time was about 2 months for both.

for full disclosure, i applied to these NY programs because 1-i need to remain in NYC, 2-i need to enroll PT, 3-both schools/programs gave me a gre/gmat waiver...and of course that's why i didnt apply to some of the other programs.

my thoughts: i like the curriculum of nyu poly better because they teach math for the sake of understanding quant finance whereas cu mafn teaches math for the sake of math with some finance sprinkled in there......the columbia name remains slightly more prestigious than nyu poly and therefore may be more helpful when looking for a job or self promotion at my current employer.

would anyone like to chime in?

and good luck to those who are still waiting.

.the columbia name remains slightly more prestigious than nyu poly and therefore may be more helpful when looking for a job or self promotion at my current employer.

Lol, SLIGHTLY???

Are you thinking Nyu-Poly is same as going to NYU? That is not the case ALTHOUGH you can go take courses at NYU. . Search through the forums, and you will see the views of students on Nyu-Poly.

I would suggest picking Columbia given your situation. It will get you farther with your current employer and in general than the degree from NYU-Poly will. Since you're not looking entry level positions, you might as well pick Columbia.

You would have to pick though! I donot know enough about the curriculum of either program, but if you're solely picking on curriculum then I can see your justification. Otherwise, based on ALL classifications, Columbia MAFN or even their MSOR surpasses Nyu-poly MFE.

I have heard from a current student there(Nyu-poly) that they are improving the program.

Back