Columbia MSOR vs Cornell FE

Which program would you select?

• Columbia MSOR

• Cornell FE

Results are only viewable after voting.
Columbia MSOR is a 30 credit program that has only 4 core courses, while the rest of the program is very flexible aplowing students to take courses in the IEOR department and others such CS and B school. In addition you can also take some of the MFE courses such big data in finance, ML FE courses, optimization and others.

I also have an offer from Cornell‘s FE program which is also a great program.

I am currently employed outside the US in a large asset management institution and will most probably return back, so career services is not very important to me.
I come from an engineering background with 4 years of experience in the financial industry.

I would appreciate if anyone would have any advice on which program to attend.

Hi,
I also applied to MSOR. Could you tell me when you received your offer ? In my case, I haven't received anything yet
Best

Received offers for Cornell FE and Columbia M.S. applied math (in the engineering school). I can't speak to the Columbia MFE specifically, but flexibility is a big attraction for myself and alumni I spoke with (5 required courses, the other 5 in your choice of IEOR/CS).

Cornell FE works out to roughly 50/50 (12 credits in optimization/stochastic modeling/statistical modeling required for all ORIE students, plus 12 elective credits: Jarrow fixed income course, Averbukh MBS course, etc.). With Columbia you get more electives and a longer list to choose from, but the Cornell core offerings are quite solid (and probably even well-taught to some degree, since they cover central topics).

Probably depends on what exactly you want to get out of the program. I think you can get the hard math and machine learning at either.

Back