COMPARE Columbia MSOR vs UChicago MSFM vs UCLA MFE

Hi guys I have a week to make the decision, and would really appreciate any idea from you. I am switching gears after many years of engineering education including graduate school. I'd say I have enough math/stats and coding skills to get my degrees, but most likely they're inadequate for a quant job in, say, pricing or trading. So I hope to go to a program where I can really learn something and enhance those skills, and perhaps get more related experience (part-time jobs or company-based course projects). Accessibility to the job market is also important to me.

Would be grateful if any of you could share your opinions, maybe in terms of program quality, placement, and brand name. Thanks!!

Chicago will provide you the most catch-up on math/stats skills since you say you want to enhance them. UCLA MFE has internships as part of their program. Columbia is in a good location, but you will need to work very hard to be competitive for a quant job, especially since you'll be competing with their MFE and MAFN.

Overall I would choose Chicago MSFM if I was in your position.

Chicago will provide you the most catch-up on math/stats skills since you say you want to enhance them. UCLA MFE has internships as part of their program. Columbia is in a good location, but you will need to work very hard to be competitive for a quant job, especially since you'll be competing with their MFE and MAFN.

Overall I would choose Chicago MSFM if I was in your position.

Thanks!! I do think the curriculum at Chicago is well structured and may better prepare me. One thing I'm not sure though is the jobs in Chicago. I learned it's mainly a place for (quant) traders. I'm definitely interested in it, but at the same time don't wanna limit my career choices in one specific quant area(s). In that sense I think Chicago is not on the same scale as NYC. I figured Columbia may just provide that accessibility to a greater job market.

In terms of curriculum, I know MSOR is not specifically tailored for financial engineering, but there is a vast selection of technical courses from IEOR and other departments (as long as you know exactly what you want...) Well...looks like i'm already justifying... Anyway, do you think this line of reasoning makes sense?

But you are right, either way I will have to work my butt off.

I'm definitely interested in it, but at the same time don't wanna limit my career choices in a specific quant area.

In that sense I think Chicago is not on the same scale as NYC. I figured Columbia may just provide that accessibility to a greater job market.

As long as you know exactly what you want...

I understand and respect your position, but I'm just going to offer a few comments on some of the stuffs you said.

I think UChicago is the best program of the three, and especially because you said you are interested in quant. But then you say you don't want to be limited to quant? That kind of lost me. Even if you want to do something quant related, UC-MSFM is the better choice. As their admission office posted themselves on another forum, they offer very wide range of courses (paraphrased).

I always believed location is not limited to the location of your school. But many people coming in are insecure and wants to rely on school location to help them in job hunting. If you work hard, you can move anywhere; have faith in yourself.

Yes that is exactly what you need for MSOR. They offer a lot of choices, but if you are unsure of what you want from it, you will just come out with unspectacular course sets that does not stand out to employers. But if you know exactly what you want (so quant or no quant?) and planned out the courses that will provide it, then you should be set!

I understand and respect your position, but I'm just going to offer a few comments on some of the stuffs you said.

I think UChicago is the best program of the three, and especially because you said you are interested in quant. But then you say you don't want to be limited to quant? That kind of lost me. Even if you want to do something quant related, UC-MSFM is the better choice. As their admission office posted themselves on another forum, they offer very wide range of courses (paraphrased).

I always believed location is not limited to the location of your school. But many people coming in are insecure and wants to rely on school location to help them in job hunting. If you work hard, you can move anywhere; have faith in yourself.

Yes that is exactly what you need for MSOR. They offer a lot of choices, but if you are unsure of what you want from it, you will just come out with unspectacular course sets that does not stand out to employers. But if you know exactly what you want (so quant or no quant?) and planned out the courses that will provide it, then you should be set!

Well I meant I don't wanna limit my choices to trading only. I'm also interested in other sorts, like quant research or quant developers. But thank you for your very insightful comments.

Back