Core Strategy group at Goldman Sachs

Hello all,
I have lurking on quantnet forums for a while and it has been great hearing out people on this forum. I am hoping someone on the forum can answer a few of my questions...

Does anyone here know more about the core-strategies group at Goldman Sachs. My understanding is that it is mostly filled with Computer Science people (PhD/MS/BS) doing software work.

1) Can some one articulate work/different kinds of projects they do?

With-in Core strategies
2.1) I have seen a job opening for SecDBA position (different from Sec DB developer). Seems like SecDBA manages SecDB installations and writes monitoring tools/scripts. If a person gets into such a group - will he/she be branded as an operational person and will find it tough to move to pure software development (minimal/no operational work-load) within core-strategies?
2.2) How much exposure of the business side can one get by working as a SecDBA? Seems like once you are a SecDBA, it will be difficult to move to hybrid positions (positions which require some amount of finance/business knowledge) or quant dev positions (assuming you do part-time MFE ) with-in core-strategies or out side GS. Is this true? Any comments?

3) Can anyone comment on internal mobility within Core strategies?

4) After working as SecDBA for a while, looks like it gets very tough to convince Facebook's of tomorrow that you still got the technical chops to build sexy software systems. May be all top software companies would want to hire you as on OPs guy. Is this fear reasonable?

Thanks in anticipation

Back