Do I even stand a chance?

• Thread starter Thread starter Eric.Z
  • Start date Start date
So...I screw up a few courses last semester. My GPA lowered to 3.6, which i know is pretty horrible. My advantage I guess would be my double major in cs and math and minor in finance, which meet the requirements of MFE programs...
BTW, I did a couple of internships in finance and actuarial science in the summer. Not sure if this would help.

I really really like NYC and wonder if I stand a chance for NYU, columbia, CMU or Baruch?? Any of these programs would be perfect 4 me. Any idea would be helpful...THX guys

Yea you're screwed.

...You're fine. Getting a B in a few courses isn't going to drastically affect your application (especially if they have nothing to do with math finance). 3.6 isn't horrible.

3.6 isn't atrocious. Just make up for it with other aspects of your application.

3.6 isn't atrocious. Just make up for it with other aspects of your application.
Yea you're screwed.

...You're fine. Getting a B in a few courses isn't going to drastically affect your application (especially if they have nothing to do with math finance). 3.6 isn't horrible.

I know. 3.6 is not atrocious, but it seems that 99% of the applicants admitted to NYU or CMU has GPA over 3.85, according to Tracker. Plus, my college isnt that good at all.
Any recommendations for me to increase my chance?

sounds like you have a pretty solid background for an MFE. I agree with what the others said - a few relatively low grades shouldn't kill your chances as long as everything else (GRE, essay, etc.) is solid as well.

Consider taking the GRE subject test in math, especially since you're a math major.

3.6 is a very good GPA for a CS and Math major... but it also depends on the school you are attending.... is it a top school?

3.6 is a very good GPA for a CS and Math major... but it also depends on the school you are attending.... is it a top school?
Nope..it is not. It is small liberal art college, which i doubt anyone here has heard of. That is exactly what I am worrying about.

Nope..it is not. It is small liberal art college, which i doubt anyone here has heard of. That is exactly what I am worrying about.

Well, it doesn't matter anymore, then... this is what you have, just try to maximize your probability of getting in.
Try to do well on the GRE, spend more time on the essays... try to write good essays to differentiate yourself.
Get an internship or two in finance before applying for grad school

Also, 3.6 is about the average in many top programs, and applying for grad schools is not really costly (in comparison with the tuition :) )

Well, it doesn't matter anymore, then... this is what you have, just try to maximize your probability of getting in.
Try to do well on the GRE, spend more time on the essays... try to write good essays to differentiate yourself.

Also, 3.6 is about the average in many top programs, and applying for grad schools is not really costly (in comparison with the tuition :) )
Thanks roni. I would definitely try my best.

But honestly speaking, how important is it to be in a top school?

Back