Do I have a chance?

Hey guys I am 26 years old my UGPA is 3.2, and im planning on taking the Columbia Quant Certificate program to bolster my application, by showing I can handle the tough math courses well. I goofed off in college to be honest. I have an economics degree. I also have M&A experience and right now I am working in a prop shop as an equity trader in Manhattan. In total I have three plus years of experience in finance.

My goal is to do really well in the Columbia Quant Certificate program and do well on my GRE's, taking those two things into account, if i can pull that off, do I have a chance?

I know its tough for someone to give me a definitive yes or no answer and the tracker that I've used shows most students with UGPA of 3.5+ so I feel like I am at a big disadvantage and I'm checking out the class profiles for the programs that I want to attend and the admitted GPA's are pretty high as well.

I would hate to invest time and money into the Quant program at Columbia and my emotional energy and not realizing that it was a long shot for me.

Any words of advice guys, I've probably asked this question in one form or another but I still have this fear that I'm not going to get in. It worries me and makes me think that I should just go for something else.

But what excites me most about Quant finance is actually using programming to create new ways to understand the financial market. Ever since I was a young kid I've loved engineering and I built huge contraptions from lego blocks and Kinex kits.

To some programming might be boring but I see it as the engine through which you can express your creativity.

Thats just me, perhaps I have a strange way of looking at things.

Thanks guys

Thanks, Columbia is offering a free course in Coursera and I think I'm going to try and see how I like it. It will give me a good idea on how I can handle the material. Thanks

Back