Financial Engineering Undergraduate Major Applying to MFE

• Thread starter Thread starter A.J
  • Start date Start date

A.J

I'm currently a senior in college and I'm a financial engineering major and a math minor with a fairly good gpa. I want to apply to the top MFE programs and was curious about how admissions will view me considering my undergraduate major. I know you can't even compare an undergraduate program to an MFE but will it help me admission vice since I've seen a lot of the material that'll be taught and they know I'll be able to handle it? Or will they see an MFE as repetitive and reject me? Also, how much advantage will I have because I did my undergraduate in the United States and am a U.S citizen. Thanks in advance.

I have seen many MFE applicants with bachelor in FE, specially from China. From a profile evaluation point of view, I do not believe it benefits you as you graced upon a few topics so lightly at the cost of not having time for more courses in math, C++ programming, finance.
Having a high GPA in BFE won't guarantee you will successfully complete the MFE degree, specially at more rigorous programs. The benefit I can see is that you can use better financial engineering lingo in your essay. You will have to compete with other applicants who have advanced degrees in CS, Math, Physics so make sure you have all the hard requirements and more.

Being US Citizen is a plus but less so at top programs who can select the most qualified applicants and get them a job regardless of their visa status. I touched upon this a while ago
http://www.quantnet.com/forum/threads/do-domestic-students-have-an-advantage.6630/

Back