From PhD in combustion engineering to Finance

• Thread starter Thread starter sgs
  • Start date Start date

sgs

Hello,

I'm 25 and I hold a BSc and MSc in Aerospace Engineering and I am currently pursuing a PhD in numerical combustion. I am very interested in quant finance world, especially in quantitative research. I have a solid background in algebra, calculus and stochastic modelling (my PhD thesis involves stochastic modelling), as well as good programmming skills in C++, Python and MATLAB.
I know these skills are really useful in quant finance, but I don't think I can just knock on the door of any finance firm with those without ever attending an economics class...

For now I work full time in my PhD thesis and I can't move from where I live, but I would love to start learning seriously and getting into the quant finance world. I would like to do a MSc or some program like that, but most of them are full time and not online. I have seen there are some certifications like CFA or CQF, but I'm not sure If these are the correct fit for my profile and career aspirations.

I appreciate any advice you can give.

Edit: (Just in case it affects your advice, I do not live in the US, and I am not a US citizen)

You can't stay in school forever. You have a BS, MS, and soon a PhD, now are thinking about another MS?

Sounds like you have taken some rigorous courses. Brush up on your interview coding, grab a quant prep book, and start networking. Maybe try to squeeze in a summer for interning and take a break from your thesis. If you can't land a quant position with a PhD in numerical combustion, you can't land one with a PhD in numerical combusting and an MFE. If QR is your interest, a CFA/CQF would be a waste of time/money. Good luck!

You can't stay in school forever. You have a BS, MS, and soon a PhD, now are thinking about another MS?

Sounds like you have taken some rigorous courses. Brush up on your interview coding, grab a quant prep book, and start networking. Maybe try to squeeze in a summer for interning and take a break from your thesis. If you can't land a quant position with a PhD in numerical combustion, you can't land one with a PhD in numerical combusting and an MFE. If QR is your interest, a CFA/CQF would be a waste of time/money. Good luck!
Thanks for the answer.

Well, I already have started reading a couple of books about Quant Finance (nothing very specific). My concern was about landing in a quant position without any official certification/course or something. I though an MFE or some official degree is always a "sine qua non" condition for getting into quant world, but I guess I will keep learning about it.

Hi Guys, I am thrilled to undertake this course, I am hoping to get into a MFE program by next year. Just putting things in place to get to my goal

Back