Fulfilling the Maths requirements for MFE

Is this path of mine below to fulfill the Math requirements for MFE programs sounds fine to you?:

My background: fresh graduate major in Finance and Information System (almost no Maths courses learnt in college beside basic Calculus and Statistics). Plan to apply for Spring/Fall 2016.

I plan to take the UCB's pre-MFE online program in January 2015 and do well. Considering the maths in pre-MFE is at a higher level, can it waive my lack in fundamental maths? Pretty confident that I can pick up the fundamental maths by myself or through courses in 6 months from now before doing the pre-MFE in January.

So, I realized Dr. @Daniel Duffy offers Fundamental Maths' course on Datasim, so I wonder how taking this course will look toward the Admission committee? Does it offer exams or certificate? http://www.datasimfinancial.com/course_detail.php?courseId=18

So basically, is doing well in the pre-MFE program enough to fulfill the minimum requirement for Maths? Or will I also have to show a credential in fundamental maths?

It would be nice to learn if there were previous successful applicants following a similar path to me :) I have between 1 - 1.5 year left for preparation, so hope I can make the cut for Math in the admission's checklist.

Is this path of mine below to fulfill the Math requirements for MFE programs sounds fine to you?:

My background: fresh graduate major in Finance and Information System (almost no Maths courses learnt in college beside basic Calculus and Statistics). Plan to apply for Spring/Fall 2016.

I plan to take the UCB's pre-MFE online program in January 2015 and do well. Considering the maths in pre-MFE is at a higher level, can it waive my lack in fundamental maths? Pretty confident that I can pick up the fundamental maths by myself or through courses in 6 months from now before doing the pre-MFE in January.

So, I realized Dr. @Daniel Duffy offers Fundamental Maths' course on Datasim, so I wonder how taking this course will look toward the Admission committee? Does it offer exams or certificate? http://www.datasimfinancial.com/course_detail.php?courseId=18

So basically, is doing well in the pre-MFE program enough to fulfill the minimum requirement for Maths? Or will I also have to show a credential in fundamental maths?

It would be nice to learn if there were previous successful applicants following a similar path to me :) I have between 1 - 1.5 year left for preparation, so hope I can make the cut for Math in the admission's checklist.

I have a few 100 exercises in my maths course and I provide a certificate. The material is >= 2nd year undergraduate maths level.

The course is not affiliated to any university at the moment.

(BTW I also have a Numerical Methods course as well).

Thank you. Will it cover all the courses in Netmath's certificate, like Differential Equations, Applied Linear Algebra? I have not taken Calculus II and III, would it be an issue to study this in the beginning?
I am not familiar with Netmath's courses. Do you have an outline?

I had a look at Math 415 (Applied Linear Algebra). Some personal and professional comments:

1. $1200 for this course is about 4 times too expensive. And $300 for an extension!
2. The course is highly theoretical, major gaps and somewhat stuffy and outdated. Why so much emphasis on SVD?
3. The course falls into a chasm between Linear Spaces (a la Shilov's book, Dover) and Numerical Linear Algebra.
4. Many of the topics are not very relevant in industry.

Last edited:
I had a look at Math 415 (Applied Linear Algebra). Some personal and professional comments:

1. $1200 for this course is about 4 times too expensive. And $300 for an extension!
2. The course is highly theoretical, major gaps and somewhat stuffy and outdated. Why so much emphasis on SVD?
3. The course falls into a chasm between Linear Spaces (a la Shilov's book, Dover) and Numerical Linear Algebra.
4. Many of the topics are not very relevant in industry.

Thank you for the comment. Could you provide some details on how your course works?
  • "Extensive exercises and end-of-term project (leading to a certificate)."

Thank you for the comment. Could you provide some details on how your course works?
  • "Extensive exercises and end-of-term project (leading to a certificate)."

The course consists of about 50 audio shows (~ 50 minutes each) and 10 major exercises per modules. You can send the answers to me and email at any time if you have queries. You receive a certificate based on successful completion of the course.

The focus is on learning decent analysis insights as well as the more mechanical issues such as calculus. The topics I chose based on what I think is important for computational finance.

I also have a few modules on measure and Lebesgue integration as preparation for stochastics. I have tried to demystify the stuff.

Some people like to do a project but for pure maths this is less obvious than for more applied topics such as PDE etc.

And you have lifelong access to the materials.

Back