Georgia Tech vs Columbia CS Fort Quant

I'm interested in quant trading, and was wondering whether Columbia would be worth the 40k/year loan I'd take out over Georgia Tech's 50k, which my parents have promised to fund entirely.

So Columbia would run me 90k/year, of which 40k/loan would be loan, while GaTech would cost 50k, paid for by my parents.

What's the better deal?

If you would be looking for a Quant developer role in HFTs, Crypto startups, Hedge funds, what better place than NYC.

Placing a CS graduate in a tech role is easier than placing them in a Hedge fund, because MS CS is the background they look for. So don't just look at the placement rate. Look at the graduate outcomes, if Columbia CS graduates that are working in Finance considerably higher than GaTech, then you know what to do.

Last edited:
I'm interested in quant trading, and was wondering whether Columbia would be worth the 40k/year loan I'd take out over Georgia Tech's 50k, which my parents have promised to fund entirely.

So Columbia would run me 90k/year, of which 40k/loan would be loan, while GaTech would cost 50k, paid for by my parents.

What's the better deal?
Considering your financial situation - GTech is a no brainer. Both are great schools, but for you, one is literally free... Some are under the impression that to work in the city you have to study in the city. I would disagree with this - people from all over end up in the city. I know that some GTech students complained about having to travel during the interview process. It has been awhile since I heard this and I would bet the opinion has changed (due to the post-reliance on zoom and financial growth of charlotte/atlanta). Talk to some alumni on LinkenIn and see what they have to say.

Of course I say no brainer assuming that both schools (in your eyes) are equals (coursework, research, on campus opportunities, etc.) excluding the cost. If both products were the same, would you pay more for one over the other?

Back