get a Msc or delay graduation? prep for employment and/or PhD

Hi people,

I'm a physics major, my grades are not strong so I'm thinking about delay graduation and taking graduate courses in mathematics or getting a Msc in mathematics.

They are basically the same thing, but do you think employers will care that I have a Bsc instead of a Msc even though, if you look at the transcript, the courses are the same? I'm asking because taking courses as a ugrad is cheaper and i'm financing the degree by myself.

From what i've read asset pricing seems to be the category which is closest to mathematical/computational finance.
Is it possible to do a PhD in Finance with a strong focus on computational finance inside a business school instead of a PhD in Maths? or is that frowned upon by graduate admission committees?

Is it possible to do a PhD in Finance with a strong focus on computational finance inside a business school instead of a PhD in Maths? or is that frowned upon by graduate admission committees?
Ask the school you are applying.

I am actually not applying at this time.
I gave it a try last week, and I'd like to avoid doing that again, some of the few responses I got weren't helpful.
My question is general so I don't need a specific answer. I speaking hypothetically here, but I'm thinking it should be possible in a Finance program to have 2 supervisors: one who's in the finance department and another in the math department. what do you say? farfetched?

depends on school
e.g. wharton has michael steele whos doing fin math, u can apply there
p.s. i have his beautifully and densely written stocal book

that's a shame :(
any reason why it's like that?

The same reason employers prefer to see a bachelors on a resume instead of looking through your transcript of undergrad classes you took without being enrolled in a bachelors degree program.

Back