Good places to do an internship/ write thesis

Hello All,

I am currently studying Quantitative Finance at the Graduate level in the Netherlands (TiSEM) and wish to grow professionally as a Quant preferably working on good mathematical/ computational/ analytical topics closely related to Risk analysis/ financial markets/ Volatility/ Derivatives. So far, I only know of places like Goldman Sachs/ BlackRock/ Major Banks/ Traders such as Flow traders.

I wish to work on a good/ valuable problem at a reputable institution during my thesis which preferably gives me right exposure to take my next career steps.

I seek some guidance as I am very new to this field and still need to learn and know a lot more than I do now.

Can anyone guide me on following ?

1. Is it good to write a thesis in an academic institution or industry (eg. Banks/ Financial institution). How long before should you ideally start exploring places to do your thesis ?
2. What are good places to do an internship/ thesis ?
3. What are good problems to study given my personal inclination to do a mathematical/ analytical work on financial markets ?
4. Does anybody have suggestions other than what I have described and perhaps I am not looking into ?

Aman

Back