Help regarding profile evaluation

I am an international student, looking for a MFE program admit in the US. Not looking for a top of the roof one, (one can judge from my profile), a decent one would do. Here goes my profile:

College: Reputed engineering school in my country
GPA: A poor 6.7/10 GPA . Really worried :(
Research Experience: Summer research internship in corporate strategy and policy in a top business school in my country (do not know if it is all that relevant).
CFA level 1 cleared.
860/990 in GRE Math Subject Test - think it is a good score - hope it helps me make up for bad quant grades in college.
326/340 in the general GRE(recently taken).
No relevant work experience (graduated as an engineer).
C++ and MATLAB self taught. (will it be fine to just indicate on my resume that I know them?)
Would be really grateful if someone could tell me what kind of colleges to apply to. Will misc experience like trading in the stock market or likewise help? Also tips to improve the application would be highly appreciated.

First of all tell me which college you are from..What math courses have completed...No one cares what you have learn by yourself....they care about a quantifiable proof(e.g. certificate, work experience)..Subject GRE is a positive

Second kumarab here. Any certificates/WE that you could relate to field of finance? Any WE in programming/development? GRE and Subject Math look good. GPA depends on which college you're from and how they treat it on US scale. I know that for Mumbai Univ in India, they take 80% as 4.0 GPA. Similar is the case with IITs and some NITs.

Thank you for your replies. I am from NIT Nagpur - VNIT. Please suggest how I can get certifications? I thought the CFA will be good enough? Also will highly appreciate the same for programming too..and also about trading experience..NSE certification?

CFA is deifinitely good for UCB program. At other places it may not be deciding criteria. I would suggest you to take NIIT certification for C++ (if quantnet certification is too costly). However, work experience can also replace the certification requirement at least in c++... One more thing, I wont advise you to aim for low ranking programs.Rather I will suggest you to look for similar programs like Operation Research, Applied Maths .Believe me 2nd rated college is not sensible for international student.

kumarab thanks for the advice but i am really looking to apply for MFE only with my current application( with the programming certificate of course) But tell me, is it worth applying in europe too? they say CFA is well accepted there.

dimboygeth, regarding Europe, I think the only issue you'd have is with OPT. You get a 3 month extension on your visa to find a full time job. Given this, irrespective of what the status of university you'd attend is, I think its too much risk. I could be wrong, schools might help students get placed before they graduate but finance isn't as rosy as it was few years ago. So I'd think twice before going there.

You might want to check for courses in countries that give you time enough to get a job. And I believe this is primarily the reason why many students prefer US over Europe.

Back