Help With Choosing a PhD Program for Mathematical Finance

• Thread starter Thread starter Sharks
  • Start date Start date
As the title, I've been admitted to some PhD programs to study mathematical finance (I intend to specialize in some sort of applied analysis field therein) and I'm not sure which to take. All of the schools seem pretty keen on talking up their own benefits and none of my current academic advisers have the expertise to answer definitively.

So far I've got offers at Cornell ORIE and Carnegie Mellon Mathematical Sciences, wait listed at Princeton ORFE. My dilemma is that Princeton and Cornell seem to be ranked much more highly than CMU for mathematics, but CMU has the best technical MFE program and Steven Shreve as a possible Thesis advisor. There's also the fact that although these programs all have 100% placement for PhD grads, the ones from CMU seem much more likely to end up in academia than in industry.

Any thoughts?

Which program will lead you to the roles that you want after PhD? Have you talked to any grads with such roles?
Visit the school, talk to the current students? If you are going to spend the next 5+ years there, may as well visiting them now and see their vibe.

I would look at the thesis adviser and the area of research they and their current students are working. A professor who already has, for lack of a better term, infrastructure of existing work and other students who are doing good work means that there is a better chance that you can do a standout thesis.

Also it would be a good idea to compare some basic stuff - which program has less coursework, lower GPA requirements to be in good standing etc...

Back