How much GPA matters for admission in MFE programs.

I am a pass-out from a top tier engineering college in India. Our university does not have a GPA system. We have a percentage system. My percentage is 65% and the the highest percentage scored by any person in my university is only 80% in the last ten years. Just wanted to know is there any normalization for guys like us? What are the chances for getting admission in top universities?

Universities have their own system of converting your grades to their system. This is also specific to your undergraduate institution. For example, almost every university in the US knows how tough it is to get a 75% at Mumbai University. 65% is what? First class? You should write that on your resume. Use some space in your SOP to talk about this. Also, if one of your recommenders refers to this aspect indirectly, it should lessen the ambiguity.

You should also speak about your math grades. Some universities give them more importance than your overall GPA. Communicate and put through your points, it would definitely help.

Good luck.

Hi All, i did my undergraduate degree from National Institute of Technology, India (the second best engineering colleges in the country after IITs). I have been working with an investment banking for 3 years for their Middle office as a developer. Two years in an reconciliation application (used java)of the derivatives and now for an year in the financial management project (mainly maintaining subledgers,GL etc for P/L; this project is entirely dependent on Python programming.). Have not wrote the GRE yet, my cgpa in UG is 7.12/10.
Could anyone please reply regarding what is my chance of getting into top MFE progs in US like Baruch,Rutgers, UCB, NYU, MIT etc if i score good in GRE.?

Back