How should I choose where to get my PhD in Math to be a quantitative analyst later?

I get offers from a few Math phd programs in the US and would like to study probability/stochastic calculus and become a quant later. One is a University of Washington on the West Coast (close to California) with lots of people working on probability. One is a Boston University on the East Coast (close to New York), with fewer people working on probability.

Appreciate if anyone would be able to comment on internship opportunities/ networking among quants of East Coast vs West Coast.

Last edited:
Calling Washington "close to California" and Boston "close to New York" could be a bit of a stretch

Calling Washington "close to California" and Boston "close to New York" could be a bit of a stretch
When I used the word "close" I mean on the same side of the coast. You might have a different definition of that word but in the context I'm laying out, "close" should mean exactly that.

try to have Eugene Stanley (He is in the physics department) as a co-advisor for your math PhD at boston. He's the pioneer of complex systems application to finance and economics. You will learn something new, yes it's not probability/stochastics but hey it can be a differentiating factor.

try to have Eugene Stanley (He is in the physics department) as a co-advisor for your math PhD at boston. He's the pioneer of complex systems application to finance and economics. You will learn something new, yes it's not probability/stochastics but hey it can be a differentiating factor.
I will keep that in mind. Thanks!
Are you familiar with some departments at Boston University then? Overall BU seems like a decent school although its math department is quite small and that worried me a little bit. Not sure the same applied for the physics department though.

Back