How to improve my profile (finance major)

• Thread starter Thread starter m_ch
  • Start date Start date
Hi,

I am a current Canadian undergrad (non-target) looking to apply to top MFE programs in 2-3 years. I am a finance major doing a minor in mathematics & statistics and have a year left in university (graduating may 2015).

I am looking for ways to improve my chances for the top programs but first am wondering if I even have a shot. So here are a few things about me:

-By the time I will have graduated, I will have completed these math courses: linear algebra, multivariable calculus and advanced multivariable calculus, probability, applied statistics, into to stochastic methods of operations research, and an intro to optimization class.

-I am currently taking an OOP class (my first) where we are using Java. I plan on learning more programming by myself (C++) and something else like R and potentially Python.

-I have a 3.85 cGPA (on 4.3), and a 4.15 finance GPA.

So I know my chances are almost non-existent right now. A few questions:

-Would it be worth it to do another bachelor's in math or CS?
-Do I have any shot at top programs if I am not from a top university?
-Is there any way for me to maybe join a master's program in CS without a bachelor's in CS?

I was looking at, down the line, applying at U of Chicago (from the info I've gathered it's the best place for trading/quant jobs, correct?), Columbia MFE, or Cornell MFE. I would like to work in Chicago or New York.

Say I graduate and work 1-2 years while doing more preparation, should I look at any kind of part-time or diploma programs?

How often do applicants from unknown school make it into top program (obv not asking for a number just trying to set my expectations)? Given the chance, should I transfer to a target school?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Just destroy the GRE. Since your not from a top school, even a high GPA won't mean that much. But if you get like 330+ on your GRE, which is standardized, it shows you have some ability.

Back