Hull's book

After reading Shreve vol 2, Baxter and Rennie, and Joshi's books, is it worth getting Hull's book for the purpose of getting a job?

Love it or loath it, everyone seems to have read it...

If you've understood Shreve vol2, Hull will give you absolutely nothing. It's a reaklly bad book for learning, only good for a QUICK overview. Spend your time more wisely!

After reading Shreve vol 2, Baxter and Rennie, and Joshi's books, is it worth getting Hull's book for the purpose of getting a job?

Love it or loath it, everyone seems to have read it...

"Seems." It's not necessary to have read a book to comment on it. Instead of dishing out $180 for this outworn book, might I recommend instead:

How to Talk About Books You Haven't Read, by Pierre Bayard. It's vastly more readable than the telephone directory Hull has authored. The author is, amazingly, a prof of literature, who claims that he often doesn't read the texts he assigns to his classes; indeed, he claims he doesn't like reading.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
that's hilarious coming from a literature professor.

I'm going to be taking a look at Hull's book today, I found a place that has it. Thanks for the suggestions.

You can buy on ebay international version of this book about 6 times cheaper than US version.

Hull's copyright income will be dramatically decreased if you keep advertising the "International Version" :)

Hull's book systematically introduces the derivative products and the very classical/basic ideas of pricing models. After Shreve and Baxter, I think Hull's is a good one for a general idea of products----and if you don't work in the financial industry and want a flavor of it, it's a good one for preparation of interviews, especially you can do the exercises for each chapter.

Back