I want to be a quant developer which masters is more suited for me?

• Thread starter Thread starter lishie
  • Start date Start date
Is there a difference between computational finance and risk management and financial engineering
Looking into these programs which would be more suited for an aspring quant developer like me :))
1. University of Oxford: MSc in Mathematical and Computational Finance
2. Imperial College London: MSc Risk Management & Financial Engineering
3. UCL: MSc Financial Mathematics
4. King’s College London: MSc Computational Finance
5. Imperial College London: MSc in Mathematics and Finance
6. UCL: MSc Computatipnal finance

I believe none of these programs might be the perfect fit for you. Instead, it could be more beneficial to pursue an advanced computer science degree that focuses deeply on computational efficiency and machine learning software engineering.

Although Computational Finance includes "computational" in its name, it often focuses on the numerical solutions aspects of the mathematics behind finance, such as the Euler scheme for solving SDEs or advances in financial ML, rather than on high-performance parallel and distributed systems crucial for HFT.

Could you suggest some university programs that focuses on computational efficiency and ML.(MSc)

When choosing a degree for quant dev, it's essential I'd say to find one with a majority of modules on computational efficiency and to be sure the department has a strong focus on this area of research. This is a program from my uni and I believe they focus on low latency and high-efficiency systems.

I believe none of these programs might be the perfect fit for you. Instead, it could be more beneficial to pursue an advanced computer science degree that focuses deeply on computational efficiency and machine learning software engineering.

Although Computational Finance includes "computational" in its name, it often focuses on the numerical solutions aspects of the mathematics behind finance, such as the Euler scheme for solving SDEs or advances in financial ML, rather than on high-performance parallel and distributed systems crucial for HFT.
I believed that advanced degrees in EECS, CE, or math were necessary, like PhD or Post Doct at least ?

Not sure about the degree. HFTs hire from undergrad, master's as well as phd.
They mostly test for ability to develop low latency systems - Extremely good in C++, ds/algo, compilers, os and networking concepts.
Sample questions can be on -
find gcd compile time
implement lock, spin lock, lock free programming
galvin os, kernel bypass
crtp, virtual functions, friend classes
delivery gurantee in tcp vs udp

One has to have a very strong command over the fundamentals of computer science and years of experience in building such systems in few cases. These things are not taught in mfe. Some topics are covered but briefly.
However if you teach yourself and take courses in cs dept during mfe, you can prepare yourself for quant developer at HFTs. It's unlikely though and would be very difficult.
There is another quant dev role too, other than hfts dev. Those don't have as high a bar as HFTs.

Back