Imperial college Business school-Msc Financial Technology(1 YFT)

Hello guys,

I was offered a place in the Imperial College Business School- 1 year Msc in Financial technology today.

I had applied for the Msc in Risk mgmt and financial engineering but was given an offer in this program instead.

Can someone with experience go through the program website and give me a suggestion. The site is given below

MSc Financial Technology-Imperial College Business School

Outcome:
I would like to work as a Quant, if possible in any financial institution in London

Profile:
Mechanical Engineering with no work experience in FinTech ( but I have published multiple papers in Mathematical Finance though)

Thank you

So you were given admission to this program which you did not apply for, and rejected from the two you DID apply to. And since you have no work experience in FinTech, the FinTech program probably isn't even a better fit for your background.

The cynical side of me is extremely skeptical.

So you were given admission to this program which you did not apply for, and rejected from the two you DID apply to. And since you have no work experience in FinTech, the FinTech program probably isn't even a better fit for your background.

The cynical side of me is extremely skeptical.
"Msc in Risk mgmt and financial engineering " is a single program at Imperial Business School. But, Yes-they didnt offer me this program probably because of my lack of work experience. Mind elucidating as to why you mentioned this- "FinTech program probably isn't even a better fit for your background." Is there a preferred background to get into Fintech jobs? As I see people from various backgrounds in Fintech.

Anyway, thank you for your insights.

"Msc in Risk mgmt and financial engineering " is a single program at Imperial Business School. But, Yes-they didnt offer me this program probably because of my lack of work experience. Mind elucidating as to why you mentioned this- "FinTech program probably isn't even a better fit for your background." Is there a preferred background to get into Fintech jobs? As I see people from various backgrounds in Fintech.

Anyway, thank you for your insights.

I meant that given your background, because you don't have work experience in FinTech, it's hard to imagine that a degree in Fintech is a better fit. Therefore one of the possible reasons that Imperial College would reject you from the two programs you applied to and accept you into the one you didn't is because there is a lack of demand for the FinTech program, and the school wants to fill up spots any way they can, including directing applicants for other, more in demand programs to the new program. If it happened to me, it would definitely leave a bad taste in my mouth.

don't do it. 35k gbp price tag + opportunity cost (think about it) + living costs for a degree which gives you no edge over the people you will be competing against for quant jobs.

don't do it. 35k gbp price tag + opportunity cost (think about it) + living costs for a degree which gives you no edge over the people you will be competing against for quant jobs.
Pardon my ignorance,but it is still Imperial right? Wouldnt a FinTech degree from Imperial give someone a good chance of securing a job in FinTech-especially in London which is the hub of FinTech. Any idea as to why this train of thought would be wrong?

This is what these universities and their fast food degrees expect you to believe. Look at the end of the day, if you want to work in quant finance then get the appropriate degree since you're willing to pay the big bucks for it. If you want fintech (I'm not knowledgeable on that) then you might benefit from the brand, but then I would advise that you seriously consider the other universities with older and potentially better brand in that sector than imperial given this is a new program. it may just be that this won't matter but you should do your homework regardless.

Back