Imperial RMFE

Hi guys,

I'm currently a UK undergraduate in my final year at the University of Manchester. I study Mathematics with Financial Mathematics and I have an offer from Imperial College for their MSc in Risk Management and Financial Engineering.

This is the only program I've applied to in the UK and I want to know how Imperial weighs up against LSE and Oxford and Cass Business School. The only opinions I've been able to read are as at 2011/2012 and I feel these are outdated.

I've heard that the RMFE at Imperial teaches you more quantitative aspects and practical applications than LSE but LSE has better career prospects. And apparently Oxford has better career prospects but a much more intensive course. The Imperial MathFin course is also supposed to be harder to get in than the RMFE and this makes me think that it is better suited for a career in Quantitative Analysis/Trading.

I would like some insight into how Imperial's RMFE is ranked in 2015 as opposed to the other courses with respect to prestige, career prospects and thoroughness of course.

Many thanks!

degrees from all these schools will get you interviews,
there's not much difference when you think about it, it's how well you do in those interviews that will matter.

LSE/Oxford/Imperial (and Cass to a lesser extent) are some of the best universities in London, the UK, and that also probably applies to the rest of the world. They are all prestigious, they all take you 1 yr to complete (there's only so much you can study in one year anyway) and they have graduates everywhere so finding a job is clearly not an issue (also due to selectivity of the program).

Regarding imperial RMFE vs Mathematics and Finance, many courses are similar, and I suspect it's possible to pick basically the same modules in both degrees.

Back