Industrial Engineer to Financial Engineer

• Thread starter Thread starter Sphinx
  • Start date Start date
Hi guys, I'd really appreciate your advice on this. I'm an Industrial Engineering student at UIUC. I actually chose this degree because I thought it was the most similar engineering degree to Financial Engineering. So, do you think an Industrial Engineering degree from UIUC is a good background for FE? My plan is to make a strong application to a top MFE. There are several track options in my degree and I've narrowed down to two options: Operations Research or Economics and Finance. I think that maybe the OR track options is better because I'd get 400 level Stats/Prob and some modeling (Optimization, Linear Programming, etc.). Do you guys agree? Or do you think the Econ/Fin track is more suitable? In the Econ/Fin track option I'd be able to take Options Pricing, Applied Econometrics and also the typical ones (Macro, Micro, Acc, etc.). So in general...Do you think that an Industrial Engineer highly trained in the OR, Stats/Prob, Modeling parts is a good candidate for an MFE? Or would you make some suggestions regarding minors, dual majors or radical recommendations like changing majors/transferring out. Thanks! Regards, Sphinx

Good plan!
by MFE you focus is more on Derivative pricing and Risk right? For this track take programming & Quant
or you are looking to IB? For this track take eco and finance

Good plan!
by MFE you focus is more on Derivative pricing and Risk right? For this track take programming & Quant
or you are looking to IB? For this track take eco and finance
Yes, actually I want to be a modeler and/or risk manager. I´m not very interested in low quantitative IB fields as they tend to not value quantitative training and engineering education. So thanks, I'll definitely choose the Operations Research track option!

Back