Interesting article about recruiting

Interesting article from Bloomberg today -

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aJ5z5JLM4JP8&refer=home

"Wall Street and Silicon Valley are courting Zhang and graduates like her -- kids with top grades, finance and math skills and a couple of languages -- more heavily than any students since the days of the '90s dot-com explosion."

I'm sure there are more than a few people on Quantnet who this applies to..
I agree, intereting message and I guess many people from this site including myself are happy to read it.:)

If the MFE graduates become hot commodity like CS graduates of the 90s, I wouldn't be surprised. That would make admission to MFE programs increasingly difficult (as if it isn't currently competitive enough).

Andy, I think in addition to what you said, almost every school will offer some sort of Financial Math degree, just like almost every school offers a degree in Mathematics :). For example, every senior CUNY college will have its own Financial Math degree :).

Yuriy,
I don't doubt it for a second. In fact, it's happening. Fordham and New School are the 2 latest additions to the NYC crowd this Fall. I bet other depts across the US are hatching some plans to open their own programs.
I don't see how other CUNY senior colleges would be able to compete with Baruch because students pay the same tuition CUNY-wide and it only makes sense to join the creme of the crop.

Andy, back in 2000 when I was thinking about doing a degree in Financial Math, there were only a few schools in the country that offered it. I wonder what the growth rate is :) I think the number of schools offering some sort of either a degree or a track in Financial Math is doubling each year.

Other CUNY schools offer some courses related to Financial Math (Hunter and Brooklyn, for example), but it is still a long way to go if they decide to offer a similar degree :) but who knows.

Back